So today is my favourite national holiday….my birthday! What? It's not in your iPhone calendar? Eurgh…..….Just Kidding. Today I will be spending my day eating till my hearts content with all my nearest and dearest, the ones who have made me who I am. Through my 23 years I feel I have learnt a fair few life lessons, some of them wonderful, some painful and some just utterly pointless. So I thought it would be fun to pen some of the things I've learnt, I hope that some of these life lessons help you in some sort of way, whether its motivation, reassurance or you just a giggle at my stupidity (I still managed to make you laugh).
1. Friendships become more about quality rather than quantity - When I was 18 the more friends the better, now my friendship circle is far smaller but made up of those who truly know me for me and still love me.
2. Never try a new hair/makeup look on the night of a big event - Stick to what you know works, especially if you're pushed for time.
3. Hair grows - Cut it/dye it, if you have always wanted to try a hair cut go for it! It will grow back. But yes you might cry a bit (a lot).
4. Spend more time with your parents/grandparents - As we get older, so do they.
5. Always listen to your intuition - When you get that gut feeling that something is right or wrong, don’t ignore it. You often know the answer before you even realize it.
6. Back up your computer, save your work. - RIP Marketing essay 2013
7. When planning your wedding make it what you want not what everyone else wants. It's your day, it's about you and your partner, so make it what you both want. Trust me everyone will want their say.
8. Don’t say things out of anger, you'll come to regret it - In the wise words of Thumper: if you can't say anything nice don’t say anything at all.
9. Worry is time wasted, worship is time invested - AMEN
10. Skin care first, make up second - Yes make up is great at covering up but a good base makes all the difference. ALWAYS take your make up off at night! Always use sun protection and always take care of your skin. 60 year old you will thank me.
11. Never let anyone tell you, you can’t do something just because they can’t.
12. Its ok to be obsessed with scented candles - It's better than drugs right?
13. Mum really does know best -Boys, friendships, studying at school. She hit the nail on the head, if only I'd realised it earlier.
14. Just because it has Kikki K on it doesn't mean I need to buy it - Took one to many trips to the store to realise this.
15. Your plan is not Gods plan - I always said the earliest I would get married would be 25, Gods plan meant 21. Stop trying to make your plan work. He's got this.
16. You'll never regret practicing selflessness
17. Stepping out of your comfort zone is healthy - By limiting yourself to what you always know you're missing out on so many opportunities. Don’t want to go to your partners Christmas do? I get ya, but you may be missing the opportunity to meet someone who will boost your career.
18. Insecurities don’t have an expiry date - They might be there for weeks sometimes years. Work on them, pray about them.
19. There will always be someone who hates what you do, let them.
20. Complements take minimal effort but can have a huge impact.
21. School is not the best time of your life - It’s twelve years, very early in your life. It will help shape your future, but it won’t overshadow it.
22. Be Present- Wherever you are, out for drinks with friends or at a family dinner actually be THERE, the people around you will appreciate you for that. Put your phone away. Engage in conversation, ask questions, tell stories, and create memories. Memories are far more important than who commented on your photo.
23. At 23, you definitely still won't have it all figured out.